Friday, August 21, 2009

Paul McCartney Concert at Cowboy Stadium

Paul McCartney's concert last night was the best concert ever! Tyler and I had a great time.

Joan was so thoughtful and fixed us hamburgers at 4 p.m. so that we could get a head start. We didn't know how the traffic would be since 40,000 people would be at Cowboys Stadium and a Ranger game was going on at the same time. The burgers were great!



We arrived at the stadium around 5 o'clock and walked around the outside of the stadium. We parked just right outside the entrance - maybe 300 yards from the door. They opened the doors at 6:30 so Tyler and I stood in the shade of trees in a little green space and had a good time talking while waiting.

Tyler with the new Cowboys Stadium behind him.


Steve with the new Cowboys Stadium behind him. Notice the big sliding doors they can open to let air through on a nice day. Today it was too hot!


The arches that hold up the stadium are huge! Notice how small the people look next to the arch anchor!


Before we went into the stadium, Tyler and I walked the perimeter of the stadium. Here is one of the huge outdoor signs on the side of the stadium.


Inside we looked around, went through the pro-shop, and then found our seats. Of course the first thing we noticed was the whole in the roof which was shut today.


We were looking straight at the stage from across the field (end zone to end zone).


A warm up act came on at 7:30 - Scripts (from Ireland). They were very loud and I put ear plugs in for their show. There was about an hour intermission before Paul came out at 9 p.m. Then the real show started and pulled out the ear plugs. McCartney was fantastic - what a showman.


He started out playing a Beatles song "Drive My Car", then went right into his song about his black dog "Jet" (we named our Cocker Spaniel Jet after this song.) After "Only Momma Knows" and "Flaming Pie" he sang the Beatles "Got To Get You Into My Life" and the "Let Me Roll it to Ya". He sang a new song "Highway" and then sat down at the grand piano for "The Long and Winding Road". Then he sang a song he wrote for his late first wife, Linda, "My Love" - Only my love does it good...



Paul picked up an acoustic song and the spotlight was on him as he played and sang "Blackbird" on acoustic guitar. Beautiful! Afterwards he said it was hard to concentrate on that song because of all the signs being held up by people close to the stage. One lady held up a sign that said "Paul, I'm legal now. Marry me!"



After another rock song "Here Today", he played the song recently used for an I-Phone advertisement "Everybody Gonna Dance Tonight", followed by Calico Skies, Mrs. Vanderbilt, and then "Eleanor Rigby". By now some people were singing along. He added a Texas song just for us by Buddy Holly - "It's so Easy to Fall in Love".



When he started "Back in the USSR" and lot more people started singing. Next came "I'm Down" and then he started "Something" on a ukulele and segued into a full version of the George Harrison song "Something" Something in the way she moves attracts me like no other lover. Now just about everybody is singing.





"I've Got a Feeling" got everybody rocking again, then "Paperback Writer" both Beatles songs. Then a combination song - "A Day in the Life" - I read the news today, Oh Boy! Followed by all we are saying is "Give Peace a Chance!". People were swaying and giving the peace sign as they sang Give Peace a Chance.

Paul sat back down at the piano for "Let it Be". Then we heard the opening sounds of the James Bond song Paul wrote "Live and Let Die". Wow!!! As he sang this song the stage actually exploded and fireworks shot up to the top of the Cowboys Stadium. It was great!!! Of course, everybody sang along with this one. 40,000 people.



Then Paul ended the main part of the show by singing "Hey Jude" and letting the audience sing with him... na na na na na na na na hey Jude. So we all got to sing with Paul McCartney! He bowed and left the stage but we called him back for two encores.

Day Tripper, Lady Madonna, and I Saw Her Standing There were the first encore - of course - everyone was on their feet singing with him.

The last encore, Paul came out with an acoustic guitar and sang "Yesterday" all by himself. They rocked again with "Helter Skelter" and "Get Back" before ending the wonderful concert with "Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "The End" ... and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love... you make!



Tyler and I walked out the door of the stadium and we were out of the parking lot and on Division street within 10 minutes. No problem with traffic at all. Much different than Texas Stadium.

It was a wonderful night that I will always remember. Thank you Staci, Mike, Caleb, Audria, Tyler, Ann, and Joan for giving me such a wonderful birthday present. Tyler thank you for going to the concert and sharing this special time with me! We saw a legend of music and what a performer he is! It was the best concert I've ever been to!

3 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

No one in the world knows as well as I do how much this meant to Steve. I remember the first time we ever saw the Beatles. Daddy called us into the living room to see "history being made". It was the Ed Sullivan show and the Beatles were coming out to sing "All My Loving", "Till There Was You","She Loves You, "I Saw Her Standing There", and "I Want To Hold Your Hand". Over 73 million people watched the Beatles that night. Our little family of 4 were part of that crowd that was instantly drawn into Beatle mania. Our parents took us to see A Hard Day's Night later that year, and Steve was the proud owner of the soundtrack album. When he got his first job, he amassed quite a Beatle collection. They were his treasures. He would allow me to gaze upon them, but as he carefully slid each album back into the sleeve, then into the album cover, he looked over at me and with a look that told me he meant business, he said, "Don't EVER touch this". I knew he meant business. I was so happy for him when he told me that he was going to get to attend the Paul McCartney concert, I cried. After so many years, he would finally get to see one of his favorite performers in person. I only wish John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr could have been there, too. Kids, you did great. How will you EVER top this birthday gift??? don't think it can be done.....

Ann Hastings said...

I am so glad y'all had such a great time- I know Tyler loved getting to share this wonderful memory with you :)

Jamie said...

How wonderful! And Happy Birthday! Great pics of the stadium- I have not even driven by for a long time!