Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lots of Snow in Texas

We had a record snowfall for February in Texas today. It is the wet sticky kind of snow that makes a great snowman and makes the trees look very pretty. At around 3:00 we already had 4 inches in our backyard. At 8:00 we already had 8 inches at the airport.


Our live oaks are not snow tolerant. They still have their leaves and those leaves gathered in a lot of the sticky snow and that makes for a very heavy limb. I went out to check on the bowing limbs that were covering about half the street when I heard a loud crack. I looked over at the oak tree just in time to see a very large limb fall from the very top of the tree into the street.


I had to get out the hand saw and cut up the limb to move it out of the street. It was heavy and I'm so glad it didn't hit a car or a person walking by. (It's 9:42 p.m. and it is still snowing and I think I just heard another limb break.)


After dinner, Joan and I went for a long walk in the snow. It was a beautiful and fun walk tonight!

It's supposed to be really icy in the morning. I hope our trees hold on until it thaws out tomorrow!

No comments: