Thursday, March 15, 2007

Remembering John Hartford

It's very sad to me when an artist dies. The music they produced lives on in various forms but the voice or the instrument is stilled. No new music comes from them on this earth and I miss many artists that have gone on. Today I was thinking of a very unique musician that I began following many years ago. Not many of my friends had even heard of John Hartford but I bought nearly all his albums. I really wanted to see him live, but then I found out he was very ill and not long after he died.

It's amazing what I found today. People who followed his career and saw him live, taped many of his performances and now they are posting them on YouTube. It is a treat to see this one man band play the banjo and sing with his unique voice about Steamboats and cotton. Take a look

Gentle on my mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fXXkybycsU

Gumtree Canoe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26NnYJln7Rg&NR

or Steam Powered Aereoplane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTXyEplA0k

And then of course, here is John Hartfords web site:

http://www.johnhartford.com/

Thanks for listening as I remember a man's music that brought me a lot of smiles through the years!

1 comment:

Staci said...

Cool! His songs are fun to sing and they'll always make me think about you :)