Friday, September 24, 2010

Seattle and Pikes Place Farmers Market

It was a rainy morning when we started our walk from the Seattle hotel through the City Center to Pikes Place Farmers Market.  I had always heard about this fantastic market and we were quite pleased!
Notice the musicians playing under the "M" in the sign.  There are designated spots for the sidewalk musicians to play and various musicians rotate each hour.


Paula and I are sampling smoked salmon a the World Famous Pikes Place Fish Company.
I have used a customer service video about the Fish Place at work to train customer service representatives.  It was cool to recognize two of the guys who worked behind the counter because they were in the videos I used.
One of the street musicians was Brother Willie.  I really enjoyed talking to Brother Willie outside the original Seattle Starbucks.  He's lived quite a life for a 55 year old guy.  It wasn't always good but 7 years ago he turned it around and he now sings Gospel songs on the street and sells CDs of his singing.  I bought one and have enjoyed listening to it.


I was able to meet a few two dimensional people in Seattle that you might recognize.
Joan heard about this tourist attraction and she led me down a back alley to find it.  It's called 'The Gum Wall".  Quite colorful!
We created our own lunch by buying smoked salmon at the Fish Market and fresh baked bread at a pastry shop, then we found a quiet restaurant to sit and eat our lunch.  It was delicious.  Oh... I bought a smoothie at the restaurant and they said it was o.k. for us all to eat there.

After we walked back to the hotel, we jumped in the rent car and drove to the Boeing plant in Seattle to tour the factory.  It was fantastic!  They are building the next generation airliner, the 787, there.  We all enjoyed the tour. 


For dinner, Paula guided us to a restaurant a  "Blog friend" of hers owns.  The wait was worth it!  We ate really good pizza.

When we arrived back at the hotel, I was ready for a Mountain Dew.  The strangest thing happened when I poured it in my glass.  Look closely and you will see totally liquid Mountain Dew becoming the consistancy of a Slurpee as it touches the cubed ice in my glass.  My guess is the refrigerator in the hotel room was keeping the Mountain Dew at 33 degrees and when I poured it onto the ice cubes it immediately turned to slush.  So cool!  Wish I could do that on a hot Texas day!
I really enjoyed our second day in Seattle with Joan, Billy, and Paula!

3 comments:

Leave It To Davis said...

Bryan said the gum wall is GROSS!!!!! We both think the liquid Mountain Dew turning instantly to Slurpee is wonderful and you should patent it and market it!!!!

Ann Hastings said...

So neat that y'all were able to taste things at the market... always wanted to go there! Looks like you're also eating great food :) So glad you're enjoying each other, the food and views!

Staci said...

Guess I should've read this one first! lol You did comments before pics on this one.

I saw the gum wall and then read the first part of the next sentence and cringed before I finshed reading it. I read "We created our own lunch" and I thought you were gonna make a joke about eating the gum! YUCK!!